View unanswered posts | View active topics Use Active Topics to see the latest post to this Forum, Just Register on the forum and login in to leave comments and opinions. It is currently 19 Oct 2017 07:04
You are visiting from

Forum rules

NOTICE: Access to use the complete VCRAI forum requires registration to the site.To view Vintage & Classic Rifles / Pistols / Tips and any other new subject matter added at some later stage, you must be a fully signed up member. Posts and Comments can be transferred or deleted! All welcome.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
WWI Remembering the Dead 
Site Admin

Post WWI Remembering the Dead
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource. ... ug=2343580

Sikamick

28 Dec 2010 18:12

Post Re: WWI Remembering the Dead
Back in 1999 a bunch of us went over to the Somme area. Some, like me, went to find their lost grandfather [Pte William V Collins +21 June 1917], and to pay our respects to our lost battalion of Newfoundlanders at Beaumont Hamel.

We all went to the American military Cemetery at Beaune, too, to take some pics for a vet and who could not travel from Pensacola to France, whose dad was buried there.

As we drove away from Beaune, heading back to our lodgings, we heard a distant and muffled ka-boom. Three of us who had experience of NI knew instinctively what it was, and the emergency vehicles racing along the highway that we encountered ten minutes later confirmed our worst fears.

That evening, we crowded around the TV in the lounge to see the news, and were horrifed to see that there were four dead as a result of a very large munition having exploded under the tractor and trailer, and another four very badly injured - not half a mile from where we had been visiting the cemetery. The oldest to die was the 18-year old tractor driver - all the other dead and injured were his young sisters and their friends that he had just collected from their picnic. His route had not been any different in either direction - the munition - said to have been a 9 inch Stokes mortar bomb - had been under the line of the track since WW1, without anybody ever having guessed there was anything there at all.

A 'Harvest of Death' indeed.

tac

30 Dec 2010 16:53

Along the same lines.
Miss Kit Strange. Who works at Kew Gardens. Is involved in an EU sponsered project in the Falkland Islands. She is recovering certain species of plants from the numerous minefields.
A Zimbabwian company then clears the minefield. One presumes by blowing it up or removing the top soil?
The recovered plants are then propergated and grown for replanting in 2011. Thus restoring the land.
Post the 1982 Falklands War some of the land and beaches are still covered in live munitions.

30 Dec 2010 17:50

tac wrote:
Back in 1999 a bunch of us went over to the Somme area. Some, like me, went to find their lost grandfather [Pte William V Collins +21 June 1917], and to pay our respects to our lost battalion of Newfoundlanders at Beaumont Hamel.

We all went to the American military Cemetery at Beaune, too, to take some pics for a vet and who could not travel from Pensacola to France, whose dad was buried there.

As we drove away from Beaune, heading back to our lodgings, we heard a distant and muffled ka-boom. Three of us who had experience of NI knew instinctively what it was, and the emergency vehicles racing along the highway that we encountered ten minutes later confirmed our worst fears.

That evening, we crowded around the TV in the lounge to see the news, and were horrifed to see that there were four dead as a result of a very large munition having exploded under the tractor and trailer, and another four very badly injured - not half a mile from where we had been visiting the cemetery. The oldest to die was the 18-year old tractor driver - all the other dead and injured were his young sisters and their friends that he had just collected from their picnic. His route had not been any different in either direction - the munition - said to have been a 9 inch Stokes mortar bomb - had been under the line of the track since WW1, without anybody ever having guessed there was anything there at all.

A 'Harvest of Death' indeed.

tac

It just goes to show.The ghost's of WW1 still come back to haunt,I would love to visit the battle ground's and the Cemetery to pay me respects to members of my own family who fell in the War.Perhaps the VCRI will arrange a trip over i for one would be up for it.
Hawkeye

30 Dec 2010 18:17
Site Admin

My Adopted Soldier WW1. A Little bit of History : a website about Irish men in the British Army that died during WW1.

A unique archive of Irish Soldiers in World War One.
Researched and produced by Irish History Students.

Very interesting, well worth while watching.

http://www.myadoptedsoldier.com/

29 Dec 2015 19:17

My maternal grandfather died in WW1

D/9947 Pte William Victor Collins 6th Dragoon Guards [Inniskillins] +21 June 1917
Plot 1 Row B Templeux-le-Guérard Military Cemetery Northern Extension, Département de la Somme.

We went to visit him in France a few years back, and I can tell you that I stood there and broke my heart. I left him a set of my crown and star to show that his grandson did good.

tac

06 Jan 2016 14:58

battle of the somme
https://youtu.be/0

Last edited by Blackadder on 12 Dec 2016 20:48, edited 1 time in total.

'poppy vid'- questionable - link trimmed

19 Nov 2016 23:59
Site Admin

To the admin, I have deleted my original post because I had not watched the full video (Re the Somme). Having done so and listened to the voice over, the language in the video is inappropriate.

20 Nov 2016 01:19

battle of the soome

I actually got a copyright warning from Utube for posting this video what bull shit im leaving it where it is but you may find it has been deleted at some stage

20 Nov 2016 05:56

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing, soldiers on both sides died fighting honourably and decently
"let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy one" (Luke 22:36) :mrgreen:

21 Nov 2016 18:43

if ya can't dazzle 'em with brilliance baffle 'em with bullshit http://bcove.me/y4l4g59f

22 Nov 2016 11:06
Site Admin

hawkeye wrote:
battle of the soome

I actually got a copyright warning from Utube for posting this video what bull shit im leaving it where it is but you may find it has been deleted at some stage

Very interesting - 'Ytube's copyright infringement concern'
Maybe the poster might like to keep the mods up to date, should this particular upload recieve further Ytube objections regarding verbal contents.
This is not a political forum other than what might be determined to be passing comment, put in a relevant context to do with subject matter being discussed.
There are forms for political discourse where political opinion can be better appreciated - and where perhaps, this spefic upload should probably been better aired in the first instance.
The posters 'first name' was mentioned in public, and therefore should be noted ( three other forum members exist, with the same first name, different spelling..)
A decision pending with regard to further notices received or where there are follow-up items that may arise.

22 Nov 2016 14:30
Site Admin

Sikamick wrote:
To the admin, I have deleted my original post because I had not watched the full video (Re the Somme). Having done so and listened to the voice over, the language in the video is inappropriate.

It escaped your attention, clarification understood - this could happen to anyone with the best of intentions..

24 Nov 2016 22:12

I didn't look at the video when i was sent it i thought it was the same as was broadcasted on Sky News and i
posted the video at the request of a member.If you want to delete it because of some bad language and the same language offends some people that's been used by a lot of people in everyday life, maybe they should get out more often and get used to it,as for the copyright warning i received by UTube it wasn't because of the Language and if they deem it ok to be shared world wide i don't see the problem with it.Ive included a photo of the warning.If the admin wish to delete the video by all means do so and in doing so please delete me from the group at the same time
Hawkeye.

Attachments:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 22.8 KiB | Viewed 6000 times ]
27 Nov 2016 10:55

Quote:
Interesting Benny im glad to see that the Muppets failed in there missions to destroy our own history, no matter what way you look at it Irish Men served and gave there lives in both world wars and are still serving in the British, American, French, armies, they should be giving the respect they deserve

Quote:
Get a grip and leave the past behind and go forward not for us but for our CHILDREN, they deserve it, we the older generation have made a cock of the past, leave the future to our Children.
Sikamick

We were led to believe u aren't supposed to speak ill of the dead ok :mrgreen:
ALAN SEEGER – AMERICAN POET – WORLD WAR ONE https://youtu.be/Ej5UexmIEc0 https://youtu.be/vWQrUP03Hig

07 Dec 2016 16:46
Site Admin

Quote:
If the admin wish to delete the video by all means do so and in doing so please delete me from the group at the same time
Hawkeye.

Quote:
This is just a heads up
if they deem it ok to be shared world wide i don't see the problem with it

Exept to say; others might disagree. Was there a misleading alteration to the original SKY broadcasted archive footage of 1916 - The Battle of the Somme.?

The heads up advisory sent to your email account resulted from You Tube generated programs designed to scan looking for copyright material.
You Tube operate a flag notification system before taking an action-
An action can include an account receiving a strike
If you receive three copyright strikes:
•Your account will be terminated.
•All the videos uploaded to your account will be removed.
•You won't be able to create new accounts.

You are advised to always read the forum terms and conditions before opening mouth-
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2308
To make it conditional for one members material to receive preferential treatment, only for their uploaded material, posted on a public forum and it must remain intact, without the website taking reasonable decisions on the content - display a material attude and lack the basics for what is reasonable ..... both of you posters are also admin opperators - one on this forum and the other, mods their own page, somewhere on the internet - from where I'm sure, posts occasionally have had to be deleted...?
There is a time element to this - you with mod experience, take a decision - on a course of action - ?

Update:Recieved notification - 'Poppy Vid' was a recent upload to a personal You Tube channel- but interestingly - the VID apperently was probably compiled from material gathered off another Ytube channel - featuring the same copyright music and same voice-over - but without the backdrop SKY NEWS Somme footage ?

Following the replies posted from both posters and of their previous views, expressing respect for veterans - the poster[s] themselves, raise the question of posting links to material that might cause an offence - apart from there being possibly more than one copyright source?

What material Ytube decide to allow on their platform - is no guarantee of it being suitable material for posting on dedicated websites: - example -sexual activity captured on video of back seat car footage - uploaded to a community-watch-website? - expect; rules & guidelines kick-in, prevent committee-blushes....

Your Ytube video has copyright material issues - possibly copyright infringement of the original music, and copyright infringement possibly for the voice-over, - transfered to play over a recent SKY News broadcast of WWI archive film - three posible copyright infringements..

Under the terms and conditions of this shooting forum and similar rules, the majority of websites and shooting clubs opperate under - in countries where an application for a firearms license are made to the policing authority - It is unlikely for licensed firearm holders to get drawn into online disputes.......

This thread will soon close before a final decision is made.

08 Dec 2016 19:37

Do what you have to do im out of here

09 Dec 2016 01:05

AKA S,J,Strap.I couldn't have said it better

It just goes to show.The ghost's of WW1 still come back to haunt,
==============================================

Last edited by Blackadder on 09 Dec 2016 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

Lock Topic

09 Dec 2016 16:29
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 18 posts ]