View unanswered posts | View active topics Use Active Topics to see the latest post to this Forum, Just Register on the forum and login in to leave comments and opinions. It is currently 21 Oct 2019 10:45
You are visiting from

Forum rules

NOTICE: Access to use the complete VCRAI forum requires registration to the site.To view Vintage & Classic Rifles / Pistols / Tips and any other new subject matter added at some later stage, you must be a fully signed up member. Posts and Comments can be transferred or deleted! All welcome

Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Firearms and Licensing 2013-2019 

Post Re: Firearms and Licensing 2013-2014
The reason behind the banning of ipsc and the restriction of centrefire pistols had nothing to do with the safety record of the sport or of c/f pistols. The temporary custody order of 1972 had nothing to do with the behaviour or safety record of the shooting community back then.
To say shatter is going to look over safety statistics of the shooting sports alone and say " carry on" is fantasy. The completely anti-firearm commissioner and his chief supers and supers have had their noses bloodied in the recent court cases. Odds are they have recommended to the minister some pretty restrictive ideas. The comments of more than a few judges in these cases as i posted above won't help either.

29 Jan 2014 21:16

Attachment:
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL FUCKING DAY.jpg
WHAT A BEAUTIFUL FUCKING DAY.jpg [ 11.18 KiB | Viewed 13900 times ]

ya need a bit of somethin to cheer yeah up :D

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/video ... 4meGAllbKu

30 Jan 2014 11:06

The facts safety record isn't shown in a good light so the minister isn't aware which is wrong

Quote:
"IFA countryside chairman David Wilkinson said all gun owners are required to invest a huge amount of time satisfying complex and confusing red tape requirements."
"This new system is a logistical nightmare which does not recognise the outstanding record of those who have legally held firearms in this country in the past."

30 Jan 2014 12:13
Site Admin

The safety record of the sport is yet another supporting argument in the arsenal, if communicated well, by the sport to eventually reach the desk of minister, for justice, equality and defence.
Quote:
justify taking things back to 1972, except allowing .243's instead of .22-250's for stalkers.- quote rowa

Granted rowa, only if the evidence was there to indicate, the North of Ireland was in the same situation as it was in 1972. That may justify turning the clock back 42 years, although the justification of 72 - was never carried out north of the border.

Thomas Mansfield Judgment, interestingly indicated the low risk of his 'handguns' being stolen, reversing the common assumption made, which may be a clue, why the only other line open for consideration, (than the lower risk of handguns been stolen) and perhaps more the concern - "that someone with a legally held gun - will develop a mental illness or a personality disorder"
As a concern, it always played a integral part in the licensing of firearms in every country. Advantage for Ireland then, because of its small sized population, with a low 5.6% possession rate, per 100 people, of 'legally' regestered firearms.

The majority -177,000 shotguns had the greater proportion of people with firearms- but at lower chance rate of developing mental illness, compaired with society as a whole. But it still remains a historical fact, shotguns were licensed during the troubles in large numbers. A smaller risk, among the many larger risks, taking into account systems of regulating then & now. Risk assement and stastistics require proof able to stand up in court. The UK experienced two mass shootings roughly 10 years apart. This double occurance happening in a population of over 62 million. The UK licensing system was tightened-up, new controls put in place, much the same system is used in Ireland & N. Ireland. Certain types of medical conditions must be indicated, a mandatory requirement to answers, when making out an application for firearms.

Like all Judgments, the devils in the detail - note, it mentions the risk of leakage for licensed firearms is too low to make a difference to the crime statistic.

30 Jan 2014 15:29

The tiny amount of lads who licence african heavy game rifles , such as the .375 h&h, .416 rigbys . 458's etc which have never as far as i am aware been used in a crime in the history of the state, were still subjected to draconian restrictions such as not being allowed to fire the rifles in the state, even on an approved range. The ptb are looking for revenge for being made a show of in the courts.
The fact that shotguns remain relatively free of restriction is probabily down to the fact that the ptb don't want to crash head on into the farmers and the ifa, who use them as tools, not as playthings.

30 Jan 2014 19:07

49. that is that someone with a legally held gun - will develop a mental illness or a personality disorder and shoot people indiscriminately. This applies of course to shotguns

that is that tractor protest wending its way toward dublin

Eddie Downey Campaigns & Issues
-v-
Minister for Agriculture
-v-
Minister for Justice

30 Jan 2014 21:03

300 tractors ;)

http://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/ ... r-protest/

31 Jan 2014 10:06

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2013-05-28a.1324

Niall Collins (Limerick, Fianna Fail)

531. To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality his plans, if any, to review the criteria for the refusal of firearm licences to encompass medical assessments; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [25567/13]

Alan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael)

I can inform the Deputy that section 4 of the Firearms Act 1925, as amended, outlines the conditions subject to which a firearm certificate may be granted by an issuing person. It includes a provision that an applicant may be asked to supply information requested in the application form and such further information as the issuing person may require. The provision includes, the power to make enquiries in relation to an applicant's medical history if the issuing officer, in most cases a Superintendent, considers it necessary when considering an application for a firearm certificate. While the Firearms Acts are being kept under review, I have no proposals for a change, at present, in relation to the matter referred to by the Deputy.

31 Jan 2014 14:25
Site Admin

The Appellant:
Thomas Mansfield, is the holder of a Scott Medal for bravery. An Garda Síochána’s Highest Honour.
"The Garda medal was instituted at the behest of Colonel Walter Scott, a New York philanthropist who took an interest in policing. In 1923 he gave a one thousand dollar gold Bond which would pay for in perpetuity a gold medal." The award was to be presented for under the following only one condition attached. "No action, however heroic, will merit the award of the Scott medal unless it takes the shape of an act of personal bravery, performed intelligently in the execution of duty at imminent risk to the life of the doer, and armed with full previous knowledge of the risk involved".
Attachment:
scottmedalfront.jpg
scottmedalfront.jpg [ 62.56 KiB | Viewed 13795 times ]

Expert witness & retired Garda (A)
Mr. William Brennan retired Garda - 28 years in the ballistics section prior to Inspector Brooks - he had extensive expertise in guns.
(WA 1500) Mr. Brennan said it didn't simulate combat or combat training. Inspector Brooks said it did. Mr Brennan and Inspector Brooks both have very similar backgrounds and knowledge.
(The Court viewed the disciplines, WA 1500, T+P1 and T+P2 and evidence of combat training, the court finding in favour of the Appellant Thomas Mansfield, who was in compliance with the law.)

Sections of the District Court Judgment: (not in an exact order)

Quote:

WA 1500
34. Does W. 1500 simulate combat or combat training? The Appellant Thomas Mansfield. He wouldn't engage in anything that was illegal i.e. he did not consider WA 1500 illegal because it was not simulating combat or combat training. He is the holder of a Scott Medal. He complained that the whole Licensing or Appeal procedure had been long and tedious, he referred to his age, the amount of time lost (4 years), and the possible deterioration in his eye sight as he gets older; that every obstacle had been put in his way. In cross examination there was a full discussion and questioning on the types of guns he had and the disciplines he was shooting and whether he had a good and sufficient reason for having them.
(described in the Chief Superintendent's letter of refusal as "of impeccable character and beyond reproach")

Brief History of the Case

6. The Court understands anecdotally that aproximately 90% of the reconsiderations resulted in the granting of licenses. However, the Appellant was refused again in November 2012 and he appealed to the Disatrict Court.

The Hearing

13. Mr. William Brennan retired Garda - 28 years in the ballistics section prior to Inspector Brooks - he had extensive expertise in guns. He described training of An Garda Soichana; how he had trained them and soldiers and described the differences between combat training and WA 1500. He said it did not simulate combat training or combat.

19. No matter what gun is mentioned Inspector Brooks can come up with some history, some characteristic, or some association which appears to make it not suitable. In cross examination he was asked was it the calibre he didn't approve of - he was asked whether there was "any 9mm you approve on" to which he responded "no"; he stated that "no .45 is suitable for target shooting"; that a .38? was "not suitable"; that a .357 was "not suitable"; he did state that a .32 revolver was "ok"; that there is a gun used in World Championships and Olympics with a small magazine which he would let through

Good and Sufficient Reason

41. "Demonstrated that the firearm is the only type" etc. These are specific requirements under the legislation. Listening to Inspector Brooks he doesn't seem to consider centerfire target shooting as "target shooting" . Target shooting for him is Olympic style target shooting. Therefore any guns used in centerfire target shooting are by his definition unsuitable for target shooting. This is a recurring theme. This is a false premise.

42. It is as if Inspector Brooks feels centerfire target shooting shouldn't exist - but clearly it does exist - whether he approves or not and the guns exist, their owners have been shooting them for years. They all have had licences for them for years. There are competitions for them in Ireland and all over Europe and farther afield for years. They have no other useful purpose; they can only be shot in approved pistol or rifle ranges at targets. The new legislation of 2006 and the extra conditions are there specifically to regulate these guns and other restricted rifles.

Conclusion

46. The Court notes that the extra conditions under the 2006 legislation applied and pertained only to a small and discrete group of already licenced people and their existing 'guns (and large rifles) i.e. 99% of people were excluded. It seems unlikely that the intention of the legislators was that the existing licence holders would all, or nearly all, be refused when they applied subsequently. The Legislature could have done that in 2006 (as was done in Britain when handguns for private citizens were (banned) and it can be done anytime I understand by the Minister by Statutory Instrument.

47. The cost to the Appellants in these cases in terms of the time spent in Court and the legal fees they have incurred is substantial. The fact that costs can't now be awarded in favour of successful Appellants against the Commissioner could affect the balance within the appeal process and lead to unfairness.

48, It is possible that this could lead to a "wear them down' process - whereby applicants will just give up when refused because they can't face a court appearance or can't afford the legal fees or wait four years. If some Chief Superintendents keep refusing the same people it could be a matter for the High Court again.

50. In our deliberations common sense must prevail. It is almost impossible to explain to anyone how two people, both of whom have had previously licenced guns living a few miles apart but in two different Garda divisions who have similar backgrounds and use identical guns and who shoot at the same range, that one can be granted a licence without a problem and the other is so easily refused - and that is remembering that it is a privilege to hold a firearms licence and not a right.

55. The Court is satisfied that he doesn't take part in practical or dynamic shooting. I am further satisfied that the concerns expressed by the Chief Superintendent on public safety are not enough to deprive the Appellant of his licence, particularly in view of the unexplained 90% who subsequently got their licences on reconsideration.

51. The District Court, particularly accepts that decision makers in licensing matters can have a "tipping point" and various factors seemingly small in themselves can accumulate and tip the decision to grant or refuse and that is what discretion means assuming that all factors are properly considered. Decisions are not easily analysed after the event but nevertheless the Appellant is entitled to an explanation as to how he differs from the 90% and how that difference is of such a significance as to the merit of a refusal. This has not been done; generalisations about public safety and
security will not suffice.

Decision

56. I am allowing the Appeal

To quote Roger Weedon Divisional Commander Chief Superintendent of the Surrey Police, speaker at the Mullingar conference 2008
Quote:
I thought this is a doddle, I know all about firearms, and I am going to walk straight into that and be up to speed in about 48 hours. I’ve never been so wrong in my entire career; I found out straight away that I didn’t know the first thing about civilian use of firearms so it came as a bit of a shock, and as the days went by I began to wonder if I had made the right decision, but the pension carried me through so I stuck with it!

01 Feb 2014 15:44

Firearms and Ammunition Security

533. Deputy Mary Mitchell O'Connor Information on Mary Mitchell O'Connor Zoom on Mary Mitchell O'Connor asked the Minister for Justice and Equality Information on Alan Shatter Zoom on Alan Shatter the number of firearms seized in each year since and including 2005; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [7297/13]

Minister for Justice and Equality (Deputy Alan Shatter): Information on Alan Shatter Zoom on Alan Shatter I am informed by the Garda authorities that the following table shows the number of firearms seized in each year from 2005 to 2012.

Number of Firearms Seized in Each Year from 2005 to 2012.

Year | Number Seized

2012 | 595

2011 | 737

2010 | 948

2009 |871

2008 |978

2007 |886

2006 |1009

2005 |939

An Garda Síochána's Policing Plan for 2013 reflects the priorities which I have set for the current year and includes as a strategic goal the objective of confronting serious crime in all its forms, including armed crime. Gardaí employ multi-disciplinary, intelligence-led approaches to ensure the activities and resources of individuals and groups involved in all such criminal enterprises are effectively targeted. A wide range of legislative powers are in place to support the investigation and detection of serious crime, including by means of covert surveillance, and very serious penalties have been introduced for firearms offences. The Firearms Acts are kept under review in the interests of public safety and law enforcement. In this regard, the Deputy may also wish to note that Weapons and Explosives Offences fell by 17.4% in the most recent published crime statistics from the Central Statistics Office.

Firearms Licences

154. Deputy Niall Collins Information on Niall Collins Zoom on Niall Collins asked the Minister for Justice and Equality Information on Alan Shatter Zoom on Alan Shatter the total number of restricted handguns currently licensed to sports persons here; the total number of non-restricted handguns currently licensed to sports persons; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [50882/13]

Minister for Justice and Equality (Deputy Alan Shatter): Information on Alan Shatter Zoom on Alan Shatter As of 20 November 2013, the number of non restricted firearm certificates for handguns is 949 and the number of restricted firearm certificates for handguns is 549. Since 1 August 2009, applicants seeking to license handguns in the State must first satisfy the issuing person of his/her membership of an authorised rifle or pistol club. I am keeping firearms legislation under review, with the issue of public safety as paramount.

Legal Matters

429. Deputy John McGuinness Information on John McGuinness Zoom on John McGuinness asked the Minister for Justice and Equality Information on Alan Shatter Zoom on Alan Shatter if he will provide, for the period since the introduction of the new firearms licensing regime, the total forecast to the State of the High Court Judicial Review held before Mr. Justice Hedigan in early 2012, including both the State's own legal costs and the legal costs of all 168 applicants for which the State accepted liability; the total forecast cost to the State of all appeals to the courts against refusal decisions by Gardaí to grant restricted firearms certificates, including the direct legal costs of the State and the appellants' legal costs that where awarded against the State; and the total estimated cost of all Gardai time in processing and providing backup to the failed legal actions. [14875/13]

Minister for Justice and Equality (Deputy Alan Shatter): Information on Alan Shatter Zoom on Alan Shatter I have asked the Garda Commissioner for a report in relation to this matter and will communicate further when this is available.
http://oireachtasdebates.oireachtas.ie/ ... 600077#N51

03 Feb 2014 15:34
Site Admin

Quote:
Quote[Niall Collins] (Limerick, Fianna Fail)
To ask the Minister for Justice and Equality if he is reviewing Garda firearm license policy in view of a recent court case that granted licences which had previously been refused on the advice of Garda ballistic experts; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [52971/13]

Quote[Alan Shatter] (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael)
I can inform the Deputy that my Department is examining key issues relating to firearms licensing, in conjunction with An Garda Síochána.[/b] I expect to receive recommendations as a result of this process in February 2014. That process will have regard to any relevant court cases.

Blackadder wrote:
The minister one imagines takes into account the excellent safety record of shooting sports combined, at the lower end of amounts paid out in insurance claims for any activity as proof.
To assume anything else, flys in the face of common sense. What has changed since the days of Dermot Ahern term in office and onwards following 2009, to warrant a total baning of shooting sports, only in the south of Ireland. He had time and money on his side when he signed into law the new firearms act, after he took his pound of flesh; laws that were drafted by the DOJ & Gardai.
Maybe 93% losses in court cases, made certain there was a review. If anything the latest figures show a drop in the crime figures. Has the sky fallen-in with a statistic showing the minister, should act? More likely the remit he set out, shall be adhered to, than to speculate at, what may or may not happed come Febuary 14th. "That process will have regard to any relevant court cases."

Reply by the Minister for Justice.
Attachment:
Minister for Justice.jpg
Minister for Justice.jpg [ 73.19 KiB | Viewed 13715 times ]

12 Feb 2014 13:21

So he hasn't decided thanks be it's a relief he's learning but the minister must be aware an garda siochana and i include the ministers department of justice and his explosives department was badly shown up time and time again, i think to be fair they haven't been trained to know any better apart from issuing .22s and shotgun licenses, and until such time they're ready the review must be called off, what i wrote. Rayfn

13 Feb 2014 10:42
Site Admin

Rayfn, I believe you were at one time interested in licensing an obsolete caliber in 7.92x57 - WWII Mauser, bolt-action rifle. Pity it must be said this historic rifle was ever placed into the restricted catogeory of firearms - making Ireland out of step with every other European country in this regard. Should your 'Chief Superintendent' decide to ever grant you the Mauser, contact the VCRAI or LRRAI to concider becoming a new member!

13 Feb 2014 14:28
Site Admin

French firearms laws were up to quite recently divided into 'eight' categories since 1939

Total number of civilian owned some type of firearm: 20,000,000 (31.2% per 100 people)
Rate of 'Long Gun' Homocides per 100.000 with a population of 64 Million in 2008 > - 0.01 < ( 66 million-2014)

Law makers in the National Assembly intended reforming the old numbered 8 categories licensing system, which they did by replacing it on march 6, 2012, with the simplified, EU 4 categories, A,B,C,D. I believe the new controls may have already become operational. They also moved almost all military calibers into 'category C (majority of firearms) on the 6th Septembre 2013

Example, moving 8 categories into EU 4 cat

Quote:

Category A – Prohibited Firearms

Category B – Subject to Authorization of the prefect. (total of 12 category B firearms allowed) requires a sports shooting license, repeated every three years for handguns, semi-automatic rifles, with a removable magazine and a capacity larger than three rounds, Pump-action shotguns, Category B ownership is contingent on a time-limited authorization, must be a shooting club member, attending at least three times a year. A doctor attests that you are physically and mentally capable of owning a firearm.

Category C – Subject to Declaration (life-time hunting license) or membership in an authorised shooting club. Hunting firearms, Shotguns, bolt-action rifles and lever guns to three-round limited, semi-automatic weapons with non-detachable magazines. Category C weapons can be acquired with either a sports shooting license or a hunting license and must be declared to the local police office for firearms and explosives. Unlike sports shooting licenses, hunting licenses require you to take a theory and practice exam.

Category D – Others Firearms: Airguns, historic firearms and replicas, all black-powder weapons and canons not subject to notification.

NB:category B sports shooting firearms are for range use only, meaning they are inaccessible to hunters.
There is no caliber restriction under EU 4 categories.

13 Mar 2014 13:08

Department of Justice and Equality
Firearms Licences http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-06-10a.996
Frances Fitzgerald (Minister, Department of Justice and Equality; Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)
I propose to take Questions Nos. 453 to 455, inclusive, together.

As the Deputy is aware, in light of public safety concerns highlighted by the Garda Síochána and difficulties in the interpretation of the legislation expressed by members of the Judiciary, my Department is currently examining key policy, legislative, administrative and other issues relating to firearms licensing in conjunction with the Garda Síochána. I expect to receive and consider a report in relation to these matters in the near future. When I have considered that report I will consider what further action is necessary in relation to the firearms licensing system, including the proposal from interest groups for an examination of relevant administrative issues by the Garda Inspectorate.

Officials of my Department met key interest groups in late 2013 and early 2014 who set out their concerns in relation to a range of issues regarding firearms licensing at that time. These interest groups have also communicated their views directly to me, as well as to all Oireachtas members. Further consultation with relevant stakeholders will take place when I have considered the report and before any decisions are finalised in relation to proposals for change to the firearms licensing system. I will decide on the nature of the consultation and what meetings are appropriate at the time I am considering the report.

In so far as a risk assessment is concerned, I am advised that the draft report has regard to recent relevant EU Commission reports and developments in other jurisdictions in relation to public safety. However, I should say that is difficult to see how any risk assessment could foresee the tragic events in Dunblane, Scotland in 2006, Utoya, Norway in 2011, Sandy Hook, Connecticut in 2012 or Santa Barbara, California in May 2014. Mass shootings are happening with increasing frequency and a common theme is that the firearms used are legally owned. I think it is only right that we consider options now, rather than endure a similar tragedy here, when people will rightly ask why we as legislators did nothing to prevent it.

14 Jun 2014 17:13

Risk assessment,in America for pete's sake there's now somewhere between 270 million and 310 million guns, according to the Pew Research Center. It's easier to buy guns than it is to buy a drink.

Check this out, 40% of guns changing hands are transferred without a background check. Homicides are overwhelmingly tied to gang violence. In fact, a staggering 80% of gun homicides are gang related. According to the Center for Disease Control, gang homicides accounted for roughly 8,900 of 11,100 gun murders in both 2010 and 2011. On Anders Behring, Breivik’s most demanding project, both intellectually and physically, was the making of his 2,100-pound fertilizer bomb. He claimed in court that he acquired more than 600 bomb-making manuals online, with recipes involving more than 100 different types of explosives. He also studied al-Qa`ida attacks as well as al-Qa`ida in the Arabian Peninsula’s Inspire magazine to obtain knowledge of the types of explosives and techniques to use. He was someone obsessed with the Knights Temlar, the far right, anti-Islamism, anti-feminism, and regrets he hadn't killed more people, deranged man.
Norwegian's saw the tragedy as the opening to a conversation about the rise of right wing extremism in their country. Nobody focused on the guns http://youtu.be/xjVD0ztWaKA

14 Jun 2014 20:36

Quote:
I think it is only right that we consider options now, rather than endure a similar tragedy here, when people will rightly ask why we as legislators did nothing to prevent it.

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Anders Behring Breivik came to the attention of Norway’s intelligence services in March after he bought a large quantity of chemicals from a Polish company, it has emerged.
However, they failed to discover his bomb plot and appear to have done nothing to check why he wanted the chemicals or to have monitored him in the months before he launched his murderous rampage. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... March.html
EU’s proposed restrictions on access to 14 chemicals that can be used for the manufacture of homemade bombs. Several of the chemicals Anders Behring Breivik acquired, are among these, including those he imported from Poland. This group will submit its report by 1 October.http://attackonthelaborparty.wordpress. ... b-attacks/
http://www.blackfive.net/main/2011/07/m ... eivik.html
Manifesto: Anders Behring Breivik.Knights Templar Log Personal . initiated a relationship with the pan-European Resistance Network.
Initiate the research phase: research the possibilities for the acquirement of weaponry and armour, the making of WMDs (explosives), acquirement of components of WMD, research of logistics and storage opportunities. August 2010, 1 Phase shift – armour phase to weapons phase; harddrive replaced with new one, and all evidence from former phase purged preparing for a car trip to Prague to establish a weapons connection for the acquisition of an assault rifle, a glock, splint grenades and AP ammo (grenades and AP ammo is a bonus). Prague is known for being maybe the most important transit point for illicit drugs and weapons in Europe.

15 Jun 2014 15:33
Site Admin

Notably the former minister for justice Alan Shatter, made no reference, it appears, with regard to these type of extreme events, sadly committed all too often in American. Firearms that are easy to obtain as a right, afforded under the American constitution.

Firearms-Control Legislation and Policy: Norway
[Weapons approved pursuant to corresponding rules in another European Economic Area]

Background Extracts:
http://www.loc.gov/law/help/firearms-control/norway.php
Quote:
The purchase, possession, and use of firearms are tightly controlled in Norway, whose laws and regulations were made more stringent with amendments to the Firearms Act in 2009.

Nearly 10% of Norway’s populace own firearms, which are used chiefly for hunting purposes. The gun laws were apparently not extensively amended in the aftermath of the 2011 massacre in Oslo.

The country’s Mental Health Act has been revised to include a new chapter on enhanced security in institutions that accommodate the severely mentally ill or persons at risk for serious violent behavior.

Overriding the findings of a report by court-appointed psychiatrists that Breivik suffered from paranoid schizophrenia. Breivik legally acquired his weapons and ammunition in 2010, having successfully applied for a firearms license for a 9 mm Glock 17 pistol and a self-loading carbine, a semiautomatic Ruger Mini-14 rifle. He stated on the application form for the permit that he would use the weapons for hunting deer.

As a general rule, semiautomatic weapons approved pursuant to corresponding rules in another European Economic Area country (the twenty-seven European Union Member States plus Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway) will be approved by the NPD

The permit age for acquisition of revolvers or pistols or their parts is twenty-one. [Note: 'Increased to twenty-one, after 2011']

While the sale of clips for hunting rifles ('semi-auto rifles, EU cat 4') that hold more than three bullets is reportedly banned in Norway, Anders Breivik wrote in his manifesto that he bought ammunition clips for his rifle from a small, undisclosed US supplier that had acquired the clips from other suppliers.

The Norwegian Rifle Association reportedly has 32,000 members in 520 clubs, according to the Norwegian Broadcasting Co. (NRK). The NRK has estimated that in addition to the legally held firearms, another half a million have been smuggled into Norway illegally.

National Ballistics Intelligence Service (NABIS) in Birmingham, UK.
Iain O’Brien, the head of NABIS

"Gun crime in Britain was low to start with and is falling."
"Clean guns—ones that have not been used before—are both rare and expensive. Other countries, such as Ireland and Spain, use the same database system, allowing NABIS to share information and track guns beyond Britain’s borders. America uses it too, but tracking the guns used in crimes there would be a Sisyphean task: few guns are used repeatedly there because it is so easy to buy new ones. Gun-starved Britons cannot be so cavalier."

16 Jun 2014 12:23

Quote:
Nearly 10% of Norway’s populace own firearms, which are used chiefly for hunting purposes. The gun laws were apparently not extensively amended in the aftermath of the 2011 massacre in Oslo.

About 5 million people and there or thereabouts 500,000 privately owned firearms. 32,000 members in 520 clubs,I assumed there was far less target shooting done up there

16 Jun 2014 15:41

SMLE 303 wrote:
In the north guns in private hands is regarded as a legislative decision so rules the same for everyone. The litigation problems licensing a gun in the south stems in sorts to a policy on a firearm at your local police station :mrgreen:

Quote:
Further consultation with relevant stakeholders will take place when I have considered the report and before any decisions are finalised in relation to proposals for change to the firearms licensing system. I will decide on the nature of the consultation and what meetings are appropriate at the time I am considering the report.

Beyond question a sisyphean task alright, agreement, or acceptance, on the nature of the consultation :?:

TIA

08 Sep 2014 14:41
Reply to topic   [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next