View unanswered posts | View active topics Use Active Topics to see the latest post to this Forum, Just Register on the forum and login in to leave comments and opinions. It is currently 26 Jan 2021 22:17
You are visiting from

Forum rules

NOTICE: Access to use the complete VCRAI forum requires registration to the site.To view Vintage & Classic Rifles / Pistols / Tips / Classic Militaria and any other new subject matter added at some later stage, you must be a fully signed up member. Posts and Comments can be transferred or deleted! All welcome.

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post Re: New Member
Hi guy's..just checking in before heading to bed...I'm so tired from reading up on Finnish mosin nagants :? ...so much to learn..
Well LesterH..what a beautiful collection of rifles you have there, enjoyed looking at them..what wood was used Lester? and was it dyed or stained at all ? yes the last gun looks so heavy you would need some arms to hold that one..!
...and finally Benny...loving your new pic..! and your gun collection sounds great but no images...hmmmm I shall have to use my imagination..I'm good at that... :D

Goodnight men,
Lyudmila

17 Jun 2010 21:56
Site Admin

Lyudmila please use link below, it will give you some idea of the meaning of and size reference to calibers, hope this helpful.

http://www.reference.com/browse/caliber

Sikamick

17 Jun 2010 22:38

Backstop Benny wrote:
walther lp53, ppk, ppk/s, p5, p99,w2000, just about right.. size...uh, for me that is. i'm aware of my shortcomings :D

Attachment:
walther ppk.jpg

HMmmmm shaken not sturd, if you know what i mean ;) ;) ;)

18 Jun 2010 00:06

snipe wrote:
Welcome to the VCRAI Lyudmila you seem to have caught the classic rifle bug, its just like a box of pringles once you started you cant stop, just one word of advice if i may before you buy a full bore classic rifle get used to shooting a .22 rifle first, nearly everybody starts off rifle shooting with a .22 , first and most important thing to learn is how to handle the gun safely. When you have mastered a .22 rifle you can then change to a foll bore classic rifle of your choice. SNIPE.

Why go through the expense and all the hassle in getting a .22 to start off whit,yes its a good idea in trying out a .22
to get the feel for shooting and learning the basics but i think you should also try out the Mosin Nagant the firearm of your choice,there is a hell of a recoil from it but nothing a bit of shoulder padding wont sort out,you may not like the gun after you shoot it,then i suggest you try the Lee Enfield 303 the recoil isn't as bad as the Mosin Nagant.At the end of the day when you decide weather you want to go whit a full bore or not and if you still want to keep whit the vintage style of firearm you can get the Lee Enfield in .22 calibre i don't know about the Mosin Nagant,give them all a go first before you decide what you want,at the end of the day its what suits you and what you are comfortable whit.
Hawkeye. ;) ;) ;)

18 Jun 2010 15:42

Lyudmila, if you'd like to take up target shooting then the first step is to find a shooting club near where you live and go for a visit. :) There are a lot of clubs that shoot .22 rifles / pistols around the country, I'm sure the lads here can point you in the right direction. Whereabouts in Ireland do you live?

18 Jun 2010 21:52

Lyudmilla,
SKS,Mosin Nagant and Mauser K98 are all stained plywood. My No4 Enfield is built by Longbranch in Canada. Should have dark wood, but has light British Enfield woodwork now. Beech? This rifle was rebuilt twice 49 and 67.Then D/A in 2007.
The SKS, Mosin Nagant and Mauser K98. Have red stained plywood. Which is typical of post WW2 Russian refurbishment. The K98 was captured by the Red Army and then rebuilt. The plywood stocks are supposed to last better then the solid wood types. Mauser enthusiasts do not like Russian captured rifles because the Russians electro pencil the new parts fitted with the rifles serial number. Being a non shooter I enjoy the history and engineering side of this hobby, mainly bayonets! :geek:

19 Jun 2010 20:07

Quote:
Hi guy's..just checking in before heading to bed...I'm so tired from reading up on Finnish mosin nagants ...so much to learn..

hmmmm ... very interesting story miss moneypenny 8-)

30 Jun 2010 12:22

hawkeye wrote:
Why go through the expense and all the hassle in getting a .22 to start off whit,yes its a good idea in trying out a .22 to get the feel for shooting and learning the basics but i think you should also try out the Mosin Nagant the firearm of your choice,there is a hell of a recoil from it but nothing a bit of shoulder padding wont sort out,you may not like the gun after you shoot it,then i suggest you try the Lee Enfield 303 the recoil isn't as bad as the Mosin Nagant.At the end of the day when you decide weather you want to go whit a full bore or not and if you still want to keep whit the vintage style of firearm you can get the Lee Enfield in .22 calibre i don't know about the Mosin Nagant,give them all a go first before you decide what you want,at the end of the day its what suits you and what you are comfortable whit.
Hawkeye. ;) ;) ;)

Sir - I bleeve that the best way to learn to shoot ANY rifle is to begin small and work your way up, not start at the [very] painful end of the line and work back down until the pain has gone - as well as the flinch that inevitably develops. I speak not from any patronising reason, but from being a qualified centre fire and .22 rifle and pistol coach since 1974 - for both able-bodied and disabled shooter of all ages.

We know nothing about 'Lyudmilla', especially her body size, and to recommend that she try a M-N for a first gun is not only unfair, but is also very bad advice. As a self-confessed total beginner - who may never actually clapped eyes on a real gun of any kind - she will have absolutely NO idea of what is expected of her, since I know that club coaches in the RoI are very few and far between.

For a beginner, without the benefit of learning about the correct hold and body position for shooting on a gun that is a lot less painful, and with a good deal of practice, there is a 99.99% chance that 'Lyudmilla' will get such a smack in the teeth from shooting such an unforgiving firearm as a M-N without working up to it that she might well be put off shooting for good.

My $0.02

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

PS - I'm not saying such a thing doesn''t exist, but I've never seen a .22LR version of Soviet M-N.

Last edited by tac on 01 Jul 2010 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

30 Jun 2010 21:22
Site Admin

Lyudmila if you are interested in taking up shooting rifles there are a lot of clubs that run beginners
courses, if you PM me I will send you a list of clubs.

As a point of interest you can purchase .22 vintage classic training rifles, I know the Lee Enfield made a .22 trainer.

I am sure that some of our members would be able to tell us if the Mosin-Nagant was made or rebarreled in .22.

Sikamick

01 Jul 2010 11:33

Sikamick wrote:
I am sure that some of our members would be able to tell us if the Mosin-Nagant was made or rebarreled in .22.

Sikamick

Sir - please see my post above about .22 versions of the Mosin-Nagant. If you have seen one, then that is the very first one I have ever heard of.

The Soviet Army did not believe in the use of small-calibre training rifles, nor did the Young Pioneer organisation.

However, the Hungarians, Rumanians and Poles DID make such guns - but finding one in the RoI or even UK might be difficult - as I wrote, I've never seen one.

Here is the response I got from a pal on gunboards -

yes, the wz-48 comes to mind. It's a moisin trainer but, Polish. The russians did, and do have trainers and target/olympic rifles..I have seen pic's of Russian prewar tariners. Very crude looking. They are not a moisin copy..
Reply Reply With Quote
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

tac
supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

01 Jul 2010 12:51

Well hello again guy's....I forgot my password so had to get new one...I've just read through the recent posts here and you are all very helpful. I live in Wexford , rural but a short drive to the town. I know there is a gun club close to me but I am too shy to go along :lol: ...anyhow I want to know so much more, before I darken their door. It may be a while before I am ready to consider joining one ;)

I noticed 'tac' posted a link to a great website and I've had a quick look at it. It's exactly what I was looking for he is such a darling....I'm off to access the link and thank him...I find there is are so many interesting posts and links on this website it is so very easy to get sidetracked...I come on to check one thing out and find myself engrossed in reading posts that have nothing to do with my query.....I love it.. :D

Lyudmila

08 Jul 2010 10:24
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2