View unanswered posts | View active topics Use Active Topics to see the latest post to this Forum, Just Register on the forum and login in to leave comments and opinions. It is currently 12 Dec 2018 03:43
You are visiting from

Forum rules

NOTICE: Access to use the complete VCRAI forum requires registration to the site.To view Vintage & Classic Rifles / Pistols / Tips and any other new subject matter added at some later stage, you must be a fully signed up member. Posts and Comments can be transferred or deleted! All welcome.

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Deactivated Stgw57. Swiss Army battle rifle 

Post Deactivated Stgw57. Swiss Army battle rifle
This is my 1967 Stgw 57. Made by SIG. All matching numbers Was the standard battle rifle of the Swiss Army during the cold war period. Fires 7.5 x 55mm ammo. Standard sight set up is 300m. The rear sight has a red mark on it. Designed to be used from fixed fortifications. even the bipod legs have a ruler on them to set up your range card , read a map or make a scale drawing. 28 round magazine. Used in conjunction with the M70 field jacket. Which has enough pockets to carry all the mags, tool kit and water bottle. So no webbing is needed.

The sling is fully adjustable. Adjustment done by using the cooling holes in the barrel jacket. Winter trigger fitted. Fires either single shot or fully auto and is heavy enough to make a reasonable LMG. Build quality is excellent and makes an L1A1 rifle look cheap.

A long time ago, one of my local gun smiths AJS Gunsmithing had two live examples held on his Section 5 RFD licence and I fancied one. A few weeks ago 29 of these rifles were deactivated by Terry Abram to the new EU D/A regulations. Which now permits moving parts in an automatic rifle ( but not able to field strip, the bolt is captive see photo). Prior to this in the UK these had to be a full weld up when deactivated. This example is over stamped with a "P" prefix on the serial number. Which indicates it belonged to one soldier and was purchased by him/her upon retirement from the Swiss Army. The rifle has the full auto function blocked, so it only self loading single shot.

An unusual rifle to find outside Switzerland!

Attachments:
DSC_0010.JPG
DSC_0010.JPG [ 5.47 MiB | Viewed 21 times ]
DSC_0009.JPG
DSC_0009.JPG [ 5.96 MiB | Viewed 21 times ]
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG [ 6.42 MiB | Viewed 21 times ]
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0006.JPG [ 6.71 MiB | Viewed 21 times ]
DSC_0005.JPG
DSC_0005.JPG [ 5.95 MiB | Viewed 21 times ]
DSC_0003.JPG
DSC_0003.JPG [ 5.6 MiB | Viewed 21 times ]
DSC_0002.JPG
DSC_0002.JPG [ 6.18 MiB | Viewed 21 times ]
02 Dec 2018 14:31
Site Admin

Post Re: Deactivated Stgw57. Swiss Army battle rifle
Lester when I look and see your pictures of this firearm in my mind I see an under sized SLR with a set of legs, is there any connection between them.

05 Dec 2018 03:27

Post Re: Deactivated Stgw57. Swiss Army battle rifle
Thank you for the comment Mick. This is quite a large rifle 112cms long. I agree it looks strange with the bipod fitted in the middle ( the German MG42 & MG3 have a similar arrangement. However the bipod is usually up the front). I was told this is done because the Swiss expect to fight from bunkers in their mountain passes and other fixed fortifications. Give the soldier a bit of a high silhouette when firing prone with the bipod deployed.

I thought is was a worthy addition to the D/A collection. A change from the Enfield, American and Red Army rifles.

06 Dec 2018 14:15
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]