View unanswered posts | View active topics Use Active Topics to see the latest post to this Forum, Just Register on the forum and login in to leave comments and opinions. It is currently 12 Aug 2022 15:20
You are visiting from

Forum rules

Notice: Post topics with comments here should include some kind of detailed text, supplemented by photos, UTube / links added only if necessary to support your text. Post and comments can be transferred or deleted! Your corporation is is most appreciated to help maintain this archive areas of the site!

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
FN-FAL Metric / Inch Pattern FAL 
Site Admin

Post FN-FAL Metric / Inch Pattern FAL
FN L1A1 SLR
The British SLR was issued without a full-auto select mode, which was widely copied, because of the muzzle climbing effect, caused when full automatic was selected. Select fire was only an option when true assault rifles like the M16s & AK47s replaced the battle rifle.

Quote:
The FN 49 is a rifle that id love to have but unfortunatly because of its straight stock id be unable to fire it. -
gunhappy_ie

Sorry I don't understand the logic behind that? Generally a straight stock better, why, because recoil directed in a straight line reducing muzzle flip.
M16 stock design example, make consecutive shots more accurate - easier for acquiring a follow-up shot, than traditional stock on the M14.

14 Jan 2012 18:59

Post Re: FN FAL / Inch pattern FAL
Im well aware of the differences, however as a F/A can be converted to S/A and legally owned so muzzle flip is irrelivant.

The FN 49s have a traditional straight wooden stock. Thats what I have the problem with, I neither like the feel nor can hold for long periods because of a wrist problem (hold the jokes please).

Yes the M16 came with pistol grips as advancements in the use of plastics and the movement away from traditional designs hepled in its development. Is it something that was almost impossible and completely impractial to do on a wooden stock on a military issue rifle. The AK was a simple stamped/milled metal reciever with a 1 piece wooden pistol grip on them that was easy to produce.

As regards follow up shots on the M14 Vs the M16, while the differences in stock design may slightly help the differences in the 7.62 round over the 5.56 nato is the major factor.

GH

14 Jan 2012 19:15

gunhappy_ie wrote:
Tac, BARs Brens can all be converted to SA so it shouldnt be too much of a problem to licence them. The problem for me would be the cost. Im looking to spend under €1000 hence the Model 57 appealing to me.

I see that your on that Swissrifles site too :P I had a quick look eariler this week but ill be registering soon to ask questions.

Blackadder: The FN 49 is a rifle that id love to have but unfortunatly because of its straight stock id be unable to fire it.

I dont mean to offend anyone but id never have a British SLR for the simple fact of where its been used. If I came accross a FN FAL from any other country Id consider it.

GH

You don't have to have a British SLR. They made them in Canada and Australia. Plus the odd one in metric from India appears every now and then. Even if you buy an FN made in the early 50,s it could be ex British Army.
Can't remember the manufacturer. However at the last Bisley show some one is now selling a brand new copy SLR, BA spec in straight pull and 7.62mm for circa £1500. Which is a hell of a lot more money than an ex British,Canadian or Australian version.
This being a Vintage site any of the rifles owned COULD have been used in action, right or wrong. I don't think it is a point that needs worrying about. We only share our views on shooting, engineering, history and humourous banter. My SLR was made by BSA in 1960 and has parts supplied by RSAF Fazakerly, Enfield Lock and the butt was made by Slazenger in Australia. Upon D/A in 2007, it was retro rebuilt to 1960 spec with cooling holes in the woodwork instead of slots. Goodness knows where my SLR was on duty?

14 Jan 2012 19:53

Dear Mr Gunhappy.ie - of all the guns in the world, the Stgw.57 has the most straight-line stock I've ever seen in my life.

What have I missed out?

tac, puzzled

15 Jan 2012 16:34

gunhappy_ie wrote:
I dont mean to offend anyone but id never have a British SLR for the simple fact of where its been used. If I came accross a FN FAL from any other country Id consider it.

GH

GH - Just sayin'....but with thinking like that, you prolly wouldn't even talk to me...

We don't usually even hint at politics on this site - we leave that to the other site where folks are continually getting banned for their rather odd take on recent history.

tac

15 Jan 2012 16:39
Site Admin

FN FAL 1947 design went into production from 1953. Issued to military forces in over 90 countries with about two million manufactured rifles. Its widespread use around the world earned it the nicknamed "The right arm of the Free World"

The inch pattern FAL L1A1:- UK, Canadian Army designation- C1 SLR ( 1955-1985) derivatives of the Belgian FN FAL battle rifle. Made under licence by Lithgow, BSA, Enfield, Canadian Arsenals, Small Arms Factory - Indian Ishapore (RFI)

Inch pattern:
UK, Jamaica, Malaysia, New Zealand, Australia, India Malaysia, Nepal, Pakistan, Argentina, Australia, , Canada, Singapore, and Papua New Guinea

The standard metric-dimensioned FAL: manufactured in Belgium, South Africa known as the R1), Brazil, Israel, Austria and Argentina. Mexico assembled FN-made components into complete rifles at its national arsenal in Mexico City.

Australian Lithgow Arsenal L1A1 - New Zealand
http://www.guncity.co.nz/308-lithgow-l1 ... 32632.html

15 Jan 2012 21:38

on the few occasions i have handled the fn/slr rifle , i was immediately struck at the weight of the thing , they seem to be extremely heavy. just my humble opinion and probabily irrelavant to target shooting use.

15 Jan 2012 23:50
Site Admin

Quote:
i was immediately struck at the weight of the thing , they seem to be extremely heavy.

For target shooting purposes it can be a useful thing carrying an extra few pounds :D

Gewehr (G1) FN FAL
West Germany began rearming the Bundeswehr with FN FAL rifles in 1956. Attempts at persuading FN Herstal to allow German manufacture of the G1, under license failed. It was suspected refusal was because of NAZI occupation of Belgum during the WAR. As a result Germany adopted the Spanish CETME design which was available to license. Heckler and Koch in Oberndorf manufactured their HK G3 adopted by the Bundeswehr in 1959. Not surprising FN Herstal lost orders to rival Heckler and Koch. Many countries thereafter switched to HK's cheaper to produce G3 option, an equally reliable rifle.

Top German G1, South African R1A1, Austrian STG 58 and Australian L1A1
Attachment:
Top  German G1, South African R1A1, Austrian STG 58  and Australian L1A1.jpg
Top German G1, South African R1A1, Austrian STG 58 and Australian L1A1.jpg [ 49.27 KiB | Viewed 24372 times ]

06 Mar 2012 18:40

If you can't make your mind up what to own. Find and buy an Enfield built G3! They made them when Bae purchased the RSAF. Bae also owned H&K at the time. ( The BA could have had this or the AR18 instead of the POS SA80 & LSW).

The CETME has it's design roots from the Stg45. The last Nazi Assault rifle.

The SLR/FN is a very strong design a mixture of milled and stamped out parts. I can put a case forward the SLR/FN that FN/ Browning copied the Inglis MKII Brengun design ( all milled). Turn a British inch SLR rifle upside down, then move the trigger group. Hey presto it's the same dimensions as a Brengun! Longbranch took over Canadian Brengun maintainence when Inglis shut down. Then Longbranch did most of the development work for the Inch SLR. The 7.62mm Brengun conversion also came over from Canada.

If you are still not sure, then hang on to the Lee Enfield No4 or SMLE. They shoot fast, work in the Desert to the Falkland Islands, three methods of loading, long bayonets and heavy enough to clump some one in hand to hand fighting!

You know it makes sense! :mrgreen:

06 Mar 2012 19:14

just thought you guys might like to see these fals from quantico,they were rifles sent my fn for testing in a compitition

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthre ... did=254976

05 Jun 2012 23:09

1960 BSA SLR. D/A by Dynce Hill in 2007.

Attachments:
File comment: BSA L1A1 1960. Cooling holes and not slots.
Sonia 7.03.09 001.JPG
Sonia 7.03.09 001.JPG [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 24050 times ]
12 Jul 2012 20:39

kiwi style long range
http://youtu.be/wE3IFHBge4U
trusty fn and lily the lamb down under :lol: :lol:

14 Aug 2013 09:14

One company here in yUK is importing the Brazilian-made IMBEL FAL as a straight-pull rifle for £3500.00. Here on the mainlanbd, A R Buckland of Norwich is selling a T-handled straight-pull L1A1 [he says], that is totally legal and compliant with the UK's rather odd take on centre-fire rifles and carbines, for £1795.00.

A point here - apart from Switzerland, NO country in Europe allows any version of any former military firearm capable of full-auto operation to be sold to a civilian. There is an EU blanket prohibition on such sales. In Switzerland a retiring member of the military is allowed to purchase his former issue StGw90, but only after it has been subjected to a non-reversible mechanical alteration to repetition fire.

tac
www.swissrifles.com

15 Aug 2013 10:15
Site Admin

Rayfn wrote:
All army 2011 finner camp ballyshannon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI6av3bWTWA

It was rumored three years ago the Irish Defence Forces issued never used modernised FN FAL's for infantry support.
The grab picture taken from the above video posted by Ray show what may be one of these upgraded issued rifles.
Attachment:
Sniper support upgraded FN FAL.jpg
Sniper support upgraded FN FAL.jpg [ 100.89 KiB | Viewed 21572 times ]

01 Jun 2014 21:04
Site Admin

matt888 wrote:
just thought you guys might like to see these fals from quantico,they were rifles sent my fn for testing in a compitition

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthre ... did=254976

And, here for sale in Europe: BSA - FAL L1A1 cal. 308W - € 899
Armes de catégorie B

http://www.armureriedelabourse.com/Product.aspx?id=6285

29 Jul 2016 13:01
Site Admin

bump

31 Aug 2016 23:52
Site Admin

Attachment:
Commandant Pat Quinlan.jpg
Commandant Pat Quinlan.jpg [ 64.35 KiB | Viewed 17428 times ]

The FN -FAL was a classic 'Battle Rifle' – emerging from the Post War rifle development of new rifle concepts, during the 1950s. The Spanish CETME was built in Germany by Heckler & Koch (HK) G3, under license. Many of the second generation battle rifles were based on the successful Sturmgewehr MP-44 - introduced by Germany towards the end of WWII – chambering the 7.9x33 Kurz, and Spanish Kurz, 7.92x40 / CETME Model 53 - first of the intermediate, reduced rifle cartridges. About 426,000 Sturmgewehr MP-44s were produced in its two years of service. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ogram.html

Fabrique Nationale by 1946 had a working experimental reduced scale FAL rifle, chambering the short 7.9mm x33. The same cartridge concept was also selected for the Spanish CETME.
The UK in 1950, ran FN-FAL trials chambering a new British .280/30 (7mm)- intermediate cartridge. U.S military interests prevailed for keeping a 30 calibre cartridge, in preference to an intermediate of 7mm or less, requiring FN to upscale their design to except the U.S specification for a standardised NATO, 7.62 x 51mm 'Battle Rifle cartridge- modern efficient, scaled-down version of the WWII 30 Calibre U.S, 30-06.

British FN Prototype
https://www.forgottenweapons.com/m14-de ... ype-28030/

Austrian STG 58 FN-FAL (mixed parts-assembled)
https://youtu.be/k3CAacuWVmE

U.S. Military thinking eventually moved with the times, 20 years later in 1963, to adopt a small vermin class 5.56 x 45mm cartridge, loaded with a light 55 grain, high velocity bullet.
In 1977, NATO follow the U.S military replacement of the 7.62×51mm, by adopting the 5.56 mm concept for an small intermediate, designated, NATO SS109 – loaded with an enhanced penetrating 62 grain bullet.

Apperently, the Irish military kept in storage old FAL's to the extent of retaining a relatively large infantry of un-issued, never fired rifles. In the event of a WWII I - emergency, releasing the reserve FN- FALs in storage - for issue to thousands of conscripted, raw recruits. Any remaining stock of FALs optimised in batches of 1000 to DMR configuration.

05 Oct 2016 12:42
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]