View unanswered posts | View active topics Use Active Topics to see the latest post to this Forum, Just Register on the forum and login in to leave comments and opinions. It is currently 08 May 2021 08:07
You are visiting from

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Guns of the Mauser 

Post Guns of the Mauser
71, 98 mauser round banned in ireland :evil:
http://youtu.be/vFsM7qBNhb4

28 Dec 2012 10:42

Post Re: Guns of the Mauser
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Not TOO certain if you 100% correct there, BB.

AFAIK, the 11mm/.43cal Mauser round is a black powder cartridge that has not been made commercially since around 1932. A nitro-cellulose smokeless version was made prior to WW2 for use in the fine custom guns of Heinrich Krieghoff of Suhl, Germany. WW2 put an end to that little escapade. :|

So, not prohibited, just unobtainable. I bought three rounds of the RWS stuff about 20 years ago at a horrendous price [then], a pal bought the rest - he had more money on him. :oops:

Since then I've seen similar cartridges for sale in the USA and Canada, but at eye-watering prices. Besides, I don't actually need to buy the stuff, as I live in a part of the world where we reload - see my Youtube - tac's guns - shooting the Model 71/84 Mauser.... we make BP loads as well as kinder versions of the nitro loads, in deference to the age of the guns that we shoot. All have been proofed here in UK, BTW - you won't have that bonus if you ever find one to buy. :(

The 7.92x57 Mauser, commonly called the 8mm Mauser, is RESTRICTED, but not prohibited. IOW, if you have a license for the RESTRICTED rifle or carbine, then you can buy it. Most makers produce it in a variety of loads, but cheap it sure ain't.

Happy New Year to you all!

tac

28 Dec 2012 15:51
Site Admin

Quote:
"I did not heed the lectures and did not hold the weapon correctly. The result was, the butt hit me under the chin and knocked me out."
Referring to the Howth 11mm BP Mauser of 1871

This blow was from the recoil recieved from one of the 'Howth Guns'. If he had fired an Enfield .303 or new model Mauser 8mm rifle during 1916 in the same manner his concussion may of been worse. Not that slow & heavy bolt action rifles of any kind are useful to drug gangs, to go shouldering one for the same reason above! In the South of Ireland shamefully only a handful of live-firing rifles from the same era as this Howth Mauser exist. All of them 'RESTRICTED FIREARMS' It appears there was a total lack of awareness of Historical Firearms and interest in them, during the drafting of our new firearm laws. Their importance until recently that is, was overlooked. In the North of Ireland and Canada for that matter, the size of caliber is a non-issue event. There is one rifle in .45-70 licensed here which looks to be a reproduction of an original single shot rolling block, dating from the 1860s. Recoil according to the target shooter, feels like a gentle shove, regardless of the big caliber bullet it takes. Again big looking rifle, big looking bullets. Just about elegable for deer stalking, what experienced stalkers consider as a minimum. To the average Chief Superintendent who's needed to license restricted firearms, it does seem more often than not, they opt usually towards the negative answer. The prospect of allowing in their district restricted firearms is not very good. It may be in hindsight the right time to consider, how the restricted list is applied to certain categories of firearms ?

28 Dec 2012 16:43

No such thing as a restricted caliber here in UK - only restrictions are imposed by the physical structure of the range. We can't fire 50cal BMG rifles on any range that does not have the three-mile safety template, or .338LM, Chey-Tac and so on on any range LESS than 300m.

Canada, however, DOES have caliber restrictions - YOUR laws are copied from theirs. .50cal MBMG are restricted.

tac

28 Dec 2012 17:40
Site Admin

Quote:
YOUR laws are copied from theirs. .50cal MBMG are restricted.

Unless there is at least 1500 yards of range to shoot on, there's no point in spending large amount of money to shoot at shorter distances - even in Canada or the North of Ireland!

After searching numerous times through pages of Canadian firearms regulations :cry: I'm sad to say there was no trace of restricted ammunition anywhere, there may be somewhere, but I have yet to find anything. You are right when you say our 2009 firearms laws have a distinctly Canadian feel to them ?

Here are the comments made by a few Canadian target shooters, link to page below!

If you have a PAL you can buy ammo. Ammo purchase is not restricted by range membership or by type of firearms you own...you can buy Ammo for anything you would like. There is no such thing as restricted ammo. Only restriced firearms.... except for Prohibited Ammunition!"

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1324&p=11530#p11530

28 Dec 2012 22:11
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]