View unanswered posts | View active topics Use Active Topics to see the latest post to this Forum, Just Register on the forum and login in to leave comments and opinions. It is currently 11 Dec 2019 06:25
You are visiting from

Forum rules

Notice: Post topics with comments here should include some kind of detailed text, supplemented by photos, UTube / links added only if necessary to support your text. Post in General Discussions otherwise. Post and comments can be transferred or deleted! Your corporation is is most appreciated to help maintain this archive areas of the site!

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Black powder cartridge shooters 

Post Black powder cartridge shooters
Hi,

Just wondering is there many black powder cartridge shooters, or owners, out there, or soon to be.

Paul.

09 Dec 2011 00:20

Post Re: Black powder cartridge shooters
I've not seen many , i have seen a few people shooting lever action rifles in calibres such as the .44-40 and .45-70 , but this was before they became restricted.

09 Dec 2011 01:47
Site Admin

Rowa the OP states 'cartridge shooters' correct me if I'm wrong, isn't there more to black powder than falling block and lever action rifles. The Blunderbuss as well as legions of reenactors - only ate through bags of the black stuff :D

viewforum.php?f=15
http://livinghistory.ie/viewforum.php?f=9

09 Dec 2011 13:13
Site Admin

Wouldn't mind trying it myself as my rifle can shoot bp and nitro loads in 45-70

JK

09 Dec 2011 18:12

BP loading for the 45-70 occupies a number of books.

For a start, no modern 45-70 case can actually hold 70gr of ANY grade of BP.

There are methods of loading as near as dammit loads, using a long - 24" - drop-tube and a swirling action, but the nearest is about 66gr of FFg grade Swiss.

Then there are the many bullet designs in different weights - usually -

300gr, 405gr and 500gr pure lead, or lead with a small amount of antimony of tin - maybe 10-15% to give it a slight hardness.

Wheel weights are a bit too hard, and modern lead roof flashing is total sh!te. The GFO alone knows what it is, but what it ISN'T is lead as we know it. Old-fashioned lead plumbing pipe is best - older the better.

NO jacketed bullets for BP loads!!!

More later, when reloading is allowed.

tac

09 Dec 2011 19:06

nonex wrote:
Hi,

Just wondering is there many black powder cartridge shooters, or owners, out there, or soon to be.

Paul.

Right now there is little point in buying any BP only gun, unless it can also be used to fire a smokeless round, too.

Of course, there is also the little problem of persuading your local Garda WHY you need to have a BP cartridge-firing gun, when there is no way that you can load it and shoot it - NO BP for shooting purposes and NO reloading - at the moment, that is.

AFAIK there are no rifle or handgun BP cartridges available in the RoI at the moment, although they are very popular with Cowboy Action shooting groups worldwide.

tac

09 Dec 2011 19:11
Site Admin

Tac can one purchase pre-wrapped paper black powder cartridges in the UK.

Sikamick

09 Dec 2011 19:33

Sikamick wrote:
Tac can one purchase pre-wrapped paper black powder cartridges in the UK.

Sikamick

Nope.

I make mine for my .44 ROA. Friend of mine made a batch of suitable former matrices - he used black nylon. - you take an orange Rizla fag paper one full turn around it and stick it, twist the bottom and pull it off, top up with the measure of propellant - note I used the word propellant - I use Pyrodex rather than BP these days - top off with the ball and seal it up with some of the mrs clear talon-varnish.

To load, just load it.

Simple.

tac

10 Dec 2011 15:25
Site Admin

Watch out for them pesky micesss: :shock: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9s2ayNU ... =endscreen

Sikamick

23 Feb 2012 17:09

nonex wrote:
Hi,

Paul.

i'd say none nonex, cf semi autos and the one black powder cartridge gun are restricted/banned/nonext :lol:

18 Sep 2019 20:35
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]