View unanswered posts | View active topics Use Active Topics to see the latest post to this Forum, Just Register on the forum and login in to leave comments and opinions. It is currently 18 Aug 2018 11:17
You are visiting from

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
Anschutz Model 54 

Post Anschutz Model 54
A lot of folks seem to be getting the .22 precision/bench-rest-tyle of shooting bug. The problem is that these days, as you've all prolly noticed in magazines like 'Target shooting', you can easily pay the price of a good rifle for the shooting rest by itself. The so-called 'bargain' Italian BR rifle set up can easily hit eu3000, as shown by the recent article about building one such gun for the writer.

Enter the vintage BR rifle...

There is no contest here, folks, or rather, there are really only two horses in this race.

Number 1 is the old stager, the BSA International or ISU rifle, and

Number 2, the Anschutz Model 54.

The BSA will likely need an older generation of scope fitted to make it competetive - something like the hard-to-find Tasco Super Target [I have two of these], or the Unertl of some kind [think $1000+]. Neither of these come in high magnification format in a game where there are now x75 being used every day.

The Anschutz Model 54, on the other paw, has a full-length 11mm scope rail that extends over the receiver, enabling you to fit any modern scope with suitable rings, up to and including the very latest VERY high magnification models.

Other benefits to buying the Anschutz are the almost certainty that you will be able to get parts for the foresseable future, and a history every bit as high-flying as any other maker on earth, in fact, more so, with over 80% of ALL Olympic records being held by Anschutz.

My advice, therefore, is to try and find an Anschutz rather than ANY BSA.

Other possible contenders are the Winchester Model 52D - so rare I've never seen one in UK - or the Remington 40XB - same deal.

Walther and Feinwerkbau are certainly not vintage enuff...

tac

11 May 2011 20:46
Site Admin

Post Re: Anschutz Model 54
Tac the old Weaver scopes 3x9 or fixed 6 power are they available second hand in the UK, if so what sort of price would one expect to pay.

Sikamick

12 May 2011 11:14

Sikamick wrote:
Tac the old Weaver scopes 3x9 or fixed 6 power are they available second hand in the UK, if so what sort of price would one expect to pay.
Sikamick

Mick - Weaver scopes are pretty rare here in UK - in fact, older quality American scopes are rare here in any event, unless you are after Zeiss, Swarovski, Hensoldt and so on. Most folks who could afford to shoot back in the days when these old stagers were made did not bother looking at American stuff.

However, the mundane scopes that we see by the zillion over in the US and CN are to be found on Guns America/Gun-broker or E***, or, as I have found, in the dusty shelves of junk stores and mom & pop gun stores where every one of mine came from.

The Weaver K4 x4 on my K31 cost me all of $24.50 a couple of years back in our usual haunt in Wheeler OR. We are off in a few weeks again for our annual trip over home to ONT and OR - will I look out for something for you?

Email me if you care to to finalise details - I have six gun-store stops to make for one reason or another.

Best

tac

12 May 2011 15:57
Site Admin

Thank's Tac, I'm looking for a Weaver Accutrac fixed 6 power. I will e-mail you.

Sikamick

13 May 2011 18:20

There is one for sale here sikamick , 140 bills , can't be too bad ,Its under used scopes.

http://www.emmacustomrifles.co.uk/WelcomeFrameset.htm

24 May 2011 21:08
Site Admin

rowa2 wrote:
There is one for sale here sikamick , 140 bills , can't be too bad ,Its under used scopes.

___________________________________________________________________________________

rowa thanks very much for the info, believe it or not I have that model, a great scope and the one on the site is a very reasonable price.

Thanks again for taking the time to look around.

In Sport.

Sikamick

25 May 2011 18:59

I thought accutrac was something on redfield scopes sikamick ?

25 May 2011 19:20

Tac/Sikamick, What scopes would you recommend looking out for to use with a BSA Martini Mk III with price being the overwhelming factor? The Weaver scopes seem well thought of here and not hugely expensive. The place linked by rowa is in Darlington which is handy enough for me to get to.

26 May 2011 07:56

eda211 wrote:
Tac/Sikamick, What scopes would you recommend looking out for to use with a BSA Martini Mk III with price being the overwhelming factor? The Weaver scopes seem well thought of here and not hugely expensive. The place linked by rowa is in Darlington which is handy enough for me to get to.

To tell the truth I've never bought a scope in the UK as I find the prices there way too high. It also depends on what you want to do as far as mounting a scope is concerned. None of the Martinis are actually set up to take anything other than a long scope on the barrel blocks that are either ready installed [if you are lucky] or not [you are not].

Finding the bases is a PITA these days, too, and therein is your first problem.

However, having either got them or found a set, then you have to find a suitable scope. Again, the choice is not there - Tasco or Unertl are favourite, with the Tasco scopes coming in at around £250-300 here, and the Unertls at around two to three times more.

The likes of Lyman, Warne and Swasey, Fecker and Litschert are VERY rare, and the mighty Bausch & Lombe Balvar x24 now fetching stupid money, even in the US of A.

IF, on the other paw, your BSA has somehow gotten itself fitted with a dovetail rail or blocks [something I've never seen] then you are on easy street. My opinion is that you should forget anything cheap, and go right for the Weaver T-36. US price new is around $700, but mine came off ebay for $400 and is like new. With a Bullseye eyepiece magnifier, you are good to go up to around x50 - more than enough for benching the gun.

tac

26 May 2011 10:19

Thanks tac, really very informative stuff (as usual!). Sounds like, as in the case of the spotting scope, I'll have to wait a bit to buy well and, hopefully, buy once. Not sure about blocks and stuff just yet as I don't have the rifle in my possession, will find out though.

26 May 2011 10:31

eda211 wrote:
Thanks tac, really very informative stuff (as usual!). Sounds like, as in the case of the spotting scope, I'll have to wait a bit to buy well and, hopefully, buy once. Not sure about blocks and stuff just yet as I don't have the rifle in my possession, will find out though.

IF you find one with blocks, please let me know. Tasco's scopes were popular here in UK at a modest price - about the same as the rifle when they were new, that is. These big Tascos [very fine - I have three of them] are remarkably good value for money even at around £300 or so, and come in x16, x18 and x20. They appear from time to time as the owner dies...Note that they do NOT fit anything except the dedicated Parker-Hale/Unertl blocks, of which there are two distinctly different types depending on the age of the gun.

A somewhat rarer version is the variable - x12-24 I seem to remember. My pal Dave here has one on a junior MkIII ISU model that shoots like a house afire.

The Unertl top-end model is the 2" variable up to x24 and can be fitted with Unertls' unique eyepiece doubler at around $140 or so on top of whatever the scope costs. Look up Dwayne Greiner's site on the internet for more details, but be prepared for sticker shock.

Have a look here on the library to see some of my old guns with these scopes fitted.

tac

26 May 2011 12:37

Thanks tac. Will look up your gallery

26 May 2011 13:39

eda211 wrote:
Thanks tac. Will look up your gallery

eda - read your PM.

tac

26 May 2011 15:46
Site Admin

rowa2 wrote:

__________________________________________________________________________________

Rowa I have that model Weaver and a Weaver T6, I'm sure it said accutrac on the box when I bought it, I could be wrong. The T6 has micro adjustments on the turrets.

Sikamick

28 May 2011 11:05
Site Admin

Quote:
My advice, therefore, is to try and find an Anschutz

I recently bought an 1967 Anschutz Match 54, model 1411 prone stock. They are an amazing well built rifle. Capable of outstanding accuracy with the help of an adjustable match trigger. Action is as expected smooth as glass. tac put me on to B-Square weaver rail ( with an elevation adjustment screw) designed to fit to the 11mm dovetail. It allows easy changing between the scope and screw-on diopter sight that comes with these rifle. Buying a new set of target sights or scope for that matter can costs as much as one of these vintage match rifles. The 54 was the rifle that superceeded the BSA Martini, if thats not enough of a recommendation, I don't know what is.

12 Sep 2011 17:58
Site Admin

I’ve seen Black Adder’s B-Square weaver rail that he got from Tac, great for those that are having a problem losing elevation adjustment.

Maybe Tac could explain the mechanics of it.

Sikamick

13 Sep 2011 09:36

Sikamick wrote:
I’ve seen Black Adder’s B-Square weaver rail that he got from Tac, great for those that are having a problem losing elevation adjustment.

Maybe Tac could explain the mechanics of it.

Sikamick

As Mick noted, B-Square, makers of the famous after-market mounts that enable you to put a scope on a Lee-Enfield, also make this natty little dovetailtoto-Weaver/Picatinny rail conversion that fits ANY 11mm / 3/8th dovetail grooves - as found on most .22 rimfire rifles and all airguns. On top it has a Weaver rail, to which you can fit ANY appropriate rings - simples! It locates positively in the grooves, held by no less than four hex-head bolts. It also has a small degree of up and down adjustment to enable you to get a good POA from the word go without using up all your clicks.

I have one on my Anschutz, with a Modern Weaver T-36 target scope on it. Cost here in yUK is around £55, so it's not exactly being thrown away, but on the other paw, if you need one then you need one. It means that I can put ANY of my other scopes on my Anschutz, if needed - they are all in Warne QR rings.

tac

Attachment:
amtF95_tmp.jpg
amtF95_tmp.jpg [ 134.25 KiB | Viewed 7437 times ]

13 Sep 2011 15:28
Site Admin

Post Anschutz Model 54
Anschutz Model 54 and BSA International - was the Olympic prone and 3 position competition rifle of their day. Nowadays these old rifles are without the level of fine adjustment of their modern counterparts and the weight of them can exceed the restriction in order to compete. Custom drop-ins or later stock designs made by Anschutz, giving the 54 a new lease of life, i.e., adapt successfully for bench rest (front & rear bag) once fitted with high magnification scopes.

Is this your skip rescued Anschutz, tac. Model 1409 - 1963

08 Feb 2012 17:11

Nice job Kleeneze ;)

09 Jan 2018 17:23

SMLE 303 wrote:
Nice job Kleeneze ;)

That's the one!

Not too shabby, eh? considering it was heading for cutting up and scrap....

Best

tac

10 Jan 2018 15:17
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]