View unanswered posts | View active topics Use Active Topics to see the latest post to this Forum, Just Register on the forum and login in to leave comments and opinions. It is currently 28 May 2020 22:01
You are visiting from

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
Anschutz Model 1409 from 1967 - saved from the scrapyard! 

Post Anschutz Model 1409 from 1967 - saved from the scrapyard!
This old Anschutz target rifle was languishing in a corner safe in our old premises in Oundle town for many years until I discovered it a few years back. I'd never seen it before, and the log showed that it had last been out and used back in 1982. It was covered with a very fine layer of 'dusty' rust, and much of the varnish had peeled off the stock. It was going to be scrapped and the money, if any, going towards a couple of CZ for the clubs noobies to practice on.

It was not far off the saddest thing I'd ever seen, gun-wise, in my life.

Just for a laff, I pushed a rod up the barrel, only to find it as bright as a new pin from one end to the other. I put my spare set of Anschutz sights on it and fired five shots into the same hole at 25m. with that in mind, I made an offer to the club treasurer and having a spare 'slot' on my FAC, I paid up and took it home to work on.

The exposed metal was, as noted, covered with what looked like paprika powder, and using a Birchwood-Casey lead removal cloth [identical in every way to the far cheaper Kleeneeze wonder cloth] I carefully worked over a small part of the rusty metal. SUCCESS!! It took me three weeks and another two cloths to clean it up. The stock required a total strip-down to the bare wood, taking care to retain the complex carved shapes around the thumbhole - every sharp corner is still a sharp corner. The deep cuts on the cheek-piece were too deep to be redeemed, so I had to leave them. they were signs that the rifle had been caught on the edge of the heavy safe door either getting it out or putting it away - shame, eh? The refishn is fifteen coats of satin-finish Min-Wax - again, I don't think you can get it in Europe, but I'm sure there is some equivalent.

The spiffy-looking butt-piece was made to look almost new by the liberal application of a glop we get in Canada and USA called 'Mother's metal polish' - it smells a lot like Solvol Autosol so I'm betting it's the same thing. That sucker took a LOT of hard work, but I think it was worth it.

The scope is one of two I bought from a guy on MT, now gone, and the doodad on the muzzle is a barrel harmoniser - I'm at the stage where anything I can try to improve my shooting is going to get tried.

https://youtu.be/ddXPYYh1yuw

Sorry you can't make comments on Youtube - I'm still trying to figure out the new rules, which don't seem to make any sense at all to me.

22 Jan 2020 16:16
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]