View unanswered posts | View active topics Use Active Topics to see the latest post to this Forum, Just Register on the forum and login in to leave comments and opinions. It is currently 12 Aug 2022 16:04
You are visiting from

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Shooting a 100 year old BSA Rim-fire 

Post Shooting a 100 year old BSA Rim-fire
Hi all, it has been a while.

I had a very sad looking BSA Model 12 come in a few weeks ago. Sad but all original so I took it under my wing as a project which was mostly strip and black every single part, clean the woodwork and finally get out and start testing with different makes of ammunition. I have started shooting LSR and have access to a very tranquil rim-fire only 100 yard range with target frames at 50m and 100 yards for competitions. So armed with a load of ammunition and some spare target cards I started learning about this lovely old rifle and after 6-7 visits everything sort of came together at 50m yesterday.

BSA claimed an accuracy of 2MOA or a 2" group at 100 yards. Interestingly, I can get closer to the 2MOA at 100 yards than I can at 50m as the front aperture is the original BSA so does not take inserts, this means the target is slightly larger than the aperture at the shorter distance which leads to fuzzy aiming and I use a small shoot and see as it has an orange centre which I can pick up through the sights (Just!)

This is the rifle as it arrived having only been wiped over.
Attachment:
BSA12.jpg
BSA12.jpg [ 2.19 MiB | Viewed 2446 times ]

Yesterday with the target shot at 50m with Eley Contact. This is 1MOA x 0.75MOA and would have been better if it had not been for the one high shot. Regardless, I am so pleased and will continue to shoot in what feels to me like an ethically pure discipline. Not nad for a 100+ year old rifle and my 62 year old eyes.

I shot at a table and off my elbows without the sling for this.
Attachment:
IMG_7678.jpeg
IMG_7678.jpeg [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 2446 times ]

I went on to shoot another card with a different rear aperture and the group opened again, rim-fire shooting is so fickle and the rear sight has no click stops so it is always a matter of trying to guess if I made the adjustment or it was backlash! That front sight is actually a flip over type so a choice of aperture or post.

Take care all.

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

21 Jul 2020 14:44
Profile WWW

Post Re: Shooting a 100 year old BSA Rim-fire
Nice to see you back, Sir, and VERY nice shooting, too!

Both my MkII BSAs shoot more or less the same way, but I admit that being an old fart, I have scopes on mine.

Take care!

22 Jul 2020 09:50

Thank you!

It is good to be back. I had numerous login issues and could never get on, then I recommended the forum to someone else the other day and thought I would have another try and here I am!

My Mk2 International had the prototype 'scope bracket and rail on it for ages however these days it is back with it's PH25B and is very capable when I can get my side of things together. I am tempted to put a 'scope back on now we have access to a 100 yard rim-fire range to stretch it's legs.

Take care.

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

22 Jul 2020 10:10
Profile WWW

I have two BSA Martini Intl MkII - one left-hand and one right-hand action. The leftie has a x18 Unertl calibrated head scope, the other a Tasco T707 x16 - both shoot like a house afire, even after 60 years or so.

25 Jul 2020 18:13
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]